Partners in crime

10:59 AM Sarah 0 Comments


My husband and I have been married for 14 years and each day I learn something new about us.  We met and married in college and started our life together as very poor students.  We lived in an apartment that had bullet holes in the refrigerator and our first couch was a pink terry cloth futon with white plastic pleather arms.  I vividly remember literally digging through cushions and pockets to get enough change to buy a weeks worth of top ramen on sale.  We've come a long way, but looking back I can see how important those struggle were.  We struggled and we learned.  We made mistakes and we continue to do so to this day, but I have no doubt that those experiences bonded us in a way that none other could.

In a roundtable discussion during a world wide leadership training for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints lds.org  Sister Cheryl Lant said

 "Love is what you go through together".  

I have found that statement to be true.  It becomes apparent to me why God, our eternal father has given us marriage when I look at the differences between men and women.  We need each other.  We compliment each other.  We are two pieces of a puzzle both figuratively and literally, and what a beautiful creation that is!  Together we have the ability to take on challenges and lift and help one another in ways that are divinely appointed to us.

I love that being unique mentally, physically and spiritually from my husband, gives me the ability to bring something special to our marriage.  I appreciate the difference in thought, appearance and spirituality that my husband contributes.  Together we are truly a team, each bringing our divinely appointed attributes to the union and making it stronger.  This does not mean that there will not be struggle, I have learned that the struggle is the point!  Without challenges to overcome, how would we progress?  How would we learn and become better people?  Coming together with our unique gifts and abilities and putting our Heavenly Father first, gives us a strength unmatched in the world.  Together, with Him we are unstoppable.




You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Disqus Shortname

Comments system